In “Idiot Nation,” and “Against School,” Michael Moore and John Taylor Gatto argue that the school system in the United States is deeply flawed. To both authors, public schools are oppressive and create students who conform and “learn to submerge any personal expression” (Moore 143).
For this essay, your job is to describe what measures must be taken to improve the American public school system. Address the problem(s) raised and provide a solution for them.
Questions to help you think about this include (but are not limited to): How can schools encourage critical thinking rather than conformity? How can the school system better its system of testing? What might the government do to help public schools? How can schools improve curriculum?
• Your introduction must hook the reader at the beginning and then briefly summarize “Idiot Nation,” “Against School” and the documentary, Waiting for Superman. Be sure to introduce the authors/director and the title of their works. Provide a brief overview of the topic as well. Your thesis statement must be the last sentence of your introduction, and it must address what you believe will help improve the American public school system. Remember to take a position that others might challenge. Thesis statement cannot be in the form of a list. (See sample essay and sample thesis statement to help construct your own.)
• Topic sentences for each body paragraph MUST connect with your thesis statement/argument. They should all address the solution. Be sure to provide transitions between body paragraphs. Stay focused with body paragraphs: one topic per paragraph.
• Use textual evidence (one from Moore and one from Gatto) and one example (from the documentary) that specifically address the problems in America’s public school system. Briefly discuss the problem through interpretation of the quote or through one example from the documentary. Then, come up with solutions that you think would help fix those problems. Develop these solutions. These are your solutions. You will need to provide specific examples for the solutions you are offering, so that your audience will clearly understand how YOUR solutions will help improve our public school system. Do NOT focus too much on the problem. Focus on the solutions. See sample student essay.
• All quotes must be integrated in the middle of your paragraphs. You may only quote once from “Idiot Nation,” once from “Against School” and provide one example from the documentary film, Waiting for Superman, in your essay. Follow the guidelines from the sandwich-style quote handout. Introduce the quote, state the quote directly, and then explain it. Longer quotes require a thorough explanation.
Structure for 1st body paragraph:
1. Topic sentence connects/supports the thesis statement – the first solution.
2. After the topic sentence, discuss the problem in brief.
3. Quote to support the problem, properly introduced and formatted. Take the time to explain the quote.
4. Your fully developed solution to fix the problem addressed in the quote.
5. Concluding sentence that closes the paragraph. (Restate the topic sentence in a new way.)
Structure for body paragraphs with transitions:
1. Transition by briefly mentioning the topic of the previous paragraph while introducing the next topic of the new paragraph that connects/supports the thesis statement –second solution for body paragraph #2 and third solution for body paragraph #3.
2. Repeat steps 2-5 above for the second and third body paragraph.
• Your essay must follow MLA form in your in-text citations. Follow the sandwich-style quote from the handout and video presentation: introduce the quote, state it, and then explain it.
• Before the conclusion paragraph, include an opinion paragraph about your experience in a public or private school setting. Discuss any problems that you noticed when you attended the school at the time. What was working? What wasn’t working? What do you think the school could have done to make things better for students? The opinion paragraph should only be about half a page and no longer than that. Your paper will incur a loss of points if your opinion paragraph is too long or too short.
• In your conclusion, begin by restating the thesis in a new way. Next, restate the main points you made in your essay –one point per body paragraph. Once again, don’t merely reiterate your points. Be sure to also push forward your argument. Think of these two simple questions: so what? Who cares? Here you can discuss why it is important to fix our public schools. Be sure to mention Moore, Gatto, and Waiting for Superman one last time in your conclusion. Then leave a final impression on the reader. This will be the last sentence of your conclusion paragraph. What is it that you want your readers to think about the topic you have just discussed in your paper? Give your conclusion and your essay a sense of closure.
• Your essay must be at least 5 FULL pages in length. Essays that are under 5 pages will result in a 10-point deduction.
• Your essay should also be clear and free of spelling and grammatical errors. Make sure all sentences are well constructed with varied structure.
• Follow MLA. Your first (rough), second (rough) and final draft MUST all follow MLA form. Your papers should be double spaced using Times New Roman size 12 font. Refer back to the MLA template and the videos. Don’t lose points for formatting.
• You must participate in both peer review sessions. I will deduct 5 points from your essay for each peer review session you miss.
• Late work will be accepted but up to one full day from the original due date. If you submit a late assignment, your paper will result in a 10-point deduction. Give yourself enough time to work on your paper, so that you do not lose those points.
Structure for Argument & Persuasion Essay (Must be in this exact order.)
2.) Body paragraph #1 (solution #1 – quote from Moore that addresses the problem and your solution for it.)
3.) Body paragraph #2 (solution #2 – quote from Gatto that addresses another problem and your solution for it.)
4.) Body paragraph #3 (third and final solution – example from Waiting for Superman that addresses one problem and your solution for it.)
5.) Your opinion paragraph
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.