AGENCY CHOSEN FOR THE PROJECT IS: The Global Food Banking Network
– Open up the word document for assignment 2 instructions as it has links to the databases required
Assignment 2: Short Report 2 – Identifying Funders (10%)
You have chosen an agency and a project. Now, you will research and write a summary of potential funders for the project you identified in Assignment 1. Select a shortlist of potential funders, noting mandates and the appropriate grant category.
Read the assignment rubric to understand how your report will be graded.
1. Search for relevant grant opportunities from Canadian sources. Do not concern yourself with funders’ application deadlines, but make sure the grant is currently active. Grants that have been discontinued are not eligible for this assignment, because you must work closely with their guidelines while you develop your proposal. Consider:
• Government agencies (federal, provincial, regional or civic)
• Private foundations or donors
• Corporate foundations or businesses
• Academic sources
Use the following databases:
• Little Dog Creative Consulting (For the arts)
• University of British Columbia Database of upcoming major funding opportunities
• Charity Village: Funders
• Government of Canada. Business network database of funding sources (For businesses/non-profits)
• Victoria Foundation: Other funding sources. (For lists sources for grants and scholarships)
• Thompson Rivers University. Funding deadlines . (For list of academic resources)
2. Select a shortlist of four potential funders/grants for further investigation to determine good fit.
3. Write a brief description for each using the following headings: funder mandate, applicant eligibility, financial amount of awards, and funding priorities. Include a URL link for the specific grant. For example, if you are considering The Canada Council, there are multiple sections and granting programs available; link to the specific grant you will apply to.
4. Write a summary of your project, stating your agency, problem, needs, goals and objectives then briefly explain how each funder fits your project. At this stage, you can refine and focus your project.
• Organization: headings and bullets, white space
• Use professional tone and clear, concise, direct style
• 12-point font, 1.15 line spacing
• Use your own words as much as possible and quotation marks for direct quotes if used, and in-text citations for quotes and paraphrases.