Discussion exercise: Your Favorite Fallacy
Practice citation and bibliography.
Explain informal fallacies.
Submit in the “Reply” box. Save your work on a word processor first.
“Informal Fallacies by John Arthur.” (Readings can be found in Modules: Schedule and Readings).
You may also use FallacyFiles.org for examples of fallacies. On the left-hand side of the web page, there is an “alphabetical list of fallacies” that you can search through. Do not use outside resources.
* Professional Writing Skills: Structure
*For citation and bibliography instructions, see APA citation HELPSHEET .pdf
( in Module 1: schedule and readings) for instructions on how to cite from an article (Arthur article) or a website (FallacyFiles.org). Understand the difference between citation and bibliography.
Write 3 paragraphs explaining the following:
1. Define ONE SPECIFIC informal fallacy (i.e., “ad hominem,” “slippery slope” etc.) Make sure to use a formal definition and cite the source. Cite as (author, year, page number)
2. Explain the informal fallacy and provide an example of an argument that commits that fallacy. The example of the argument should be in quotation marks.
3. Explain how the informal fallacy is using faulty reasoning (i.e., explain WHY it is a bad form of reasoning). Give sufficient explanation to show your reader why that fallacy is irrational.
4. Provide bibliography.
Reply to two classmates:
Reply to two classmates’ posts. One reply MUST include the following:
* Provide an example of an argument that commits the fallacy that the classmate is explaining. This is to help your classmate further support their explanation of the fallacy. For example, if someone is writing about a Straw Man fallacy, explain an argument that commits the fallacy of a Straw Man.
Professional writing tips:
*Use formal definitions of the particular fallacy from the required readings only. Cite the definition as (Author’s last name, year, page number). See “APA helpsheet” for how to do citations and bibliography. Use of outside resources will require you to edit and resubmit.
* Use your own example of a fallacy. Using examples help illustrate to the reader how a fallacy works. It also helps you apply the concepts to your own life. If you use examples from the internet, you must include proper citation and bibliography.
*Use signposting. The first sentence of each paragraph should indicate what the paragraph is about.
* Follow structure: Write one topic per paragraph. Keep in mind that when you EXPLAIN an idea to your reader, you must first define it, explain it with examples, and then assess or critique it, in that order. Paragraphs should have one topic per paragraph. Never critique an argument before you explain it. In this case, your third paragraph is an example of a critique (an argument that the fallacy is faulty). See Professional Writing Skills: Structure
*In your second paragraph, place an example of the argument that commits a fallacy in quotation marks. Fallacies always involve arguments, with faulty reasoning from the premise to the conclusion. Thus, give an argument that commits the fallacy, not just a description of events. Use this example argument to help explain how the fallacy works.
*Aim at clarity and sufficient explanation. Pretend that you are explaining to your friend who has committed a fallacy. Your friend does not know what is wrong with his way of thinking, so use details and examples to show your friend how the fallacy works, and give sufficient explanation of what is wrong with his reasoning.
We aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise on the quality of our assignment services and strive to maintain the highest standards of work for all our clients. Our writers craft each paper carefully to match the requirements on the instructions form while at the same time being surgical and objective while handling client work.
We receive many applications from writers around the world daily. Nevertheless, we only choose the cream of the crop to tackle your “help with homework” requests. Hence, our homework helpers are highly-qualified individuals who adhere to our quality policy.
We maintain a fair pricing policy for all our homework help services. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the requirements of each paper. Hence regardless of the complexity or duration of a paper, our system determines the most accurate and pocket-friendly price for all our clients.
At MyHomeworkWriters, we guarantee all students swift delivery of their assignments. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. We, therefore, ensure that all assignments are delivered on or before the agreed deadline. This leaves room for editing to incase the client wants changes done to the work delivered by our writers.
We maintain a zero-plagiarism policy in all our papers. Our writers stick to the instructions to deliver plagiarism-free work. Other than that, they extensively research the work they are handling and are keen to avoid any chance of similarities with previously written papers. Our editors check every completed work to ascertain it’s at the set standards.
Our main objective is to assist you through every step of your academic journey. Thus, we completely understand that you might run into trouble once in a while when interacting with our system. If you do run into trouble, please get in touch with our support agents and they will immediately provide you with assistance. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or email us.
Follow these simple steps to get your homework done
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
You will be able to track the progress of your paper from our system.
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Myhomeworkwriters holds a reputation for providing high-quality assignment writing services. You only need to give us all the requirements for your “do my homework” order, and our writers will give you the best results.
Our team is skilled and equipped in searching for information required to complete work handed over to them. Regardless of the complexity of the work, we are determined to get the job done. Extensive research when handling client requests makes it possible for us to be able to stick to the boundaries and guidelines set by the clients. Thus enabling us to keep the work original and plagiarism free.
We have highly qualified writers to assist you whenever you place in "help with my homework" order. Our essay writing service is designed to not only help students get good grades but also excel in their studies. Our writers are highly experienced and educated specialists and professionals who want to do more than creating a difference in the academic field.
Our editors have a keen eye when going through work. They can capture even the smallest of errors. This has been made possible by the fact that we have been in the academic field for more than 5 years now. Thus, they bring with them previous experience when going through work to be able to capture everything. These unique skills make it possible for us to deliver error-free work to our clients.
Our team has very experienced specialists and professionals. This gives us a competitive edge over our competitors. Whenever we receive work that needs to be redone, everyone gets involved. That’s inclusive of our editors. This collective involvement in doing work makes it possible for us to deliver high-quality work to all our clients. Other than that it makes it possible for us to adhere to our originality and plagiarism-free policies.