This assignment relates to the following Course Learning Requirements:
1. Explain, demonstrate and evaluate various techniques for individual and group mediator training.
2. Communicate effectively with families, clinical teams and other service providers about principles and strategies of ABA/IBI and their application to individuals with ASD
3. Explain and model teaching and behaviour change strategies.
Objective of this Assignment: The student will videotape a mock training scenario demonstrating the use of the Behavioural Skills Training (BST) model to train a mediator on how to teach a particular skill to a learner.
Choose one of the following scenarios and submit your choice to your instructor via email by the required date (as outlined in the Course Timeline).
1. Billy has mastered gross motor imitation in his IBI program and there is a need to generalize these skills to the home setting and under a parent’s direction.
2. Danny has recently started to attend an Adult Day Program on weekends. The staff at the program have requested to be trained on his current programming at home, starting with manding for missing items using signs (may use PECS in lieu of signs).
3. Joey is a 3-year-old whose parents are trying to implement a ‘put on shoes’ program and have asked you to train them on how to implement this program at home.
4. Sam is transitioning out of an IBI program into school. He uses PECS to communicate and is currently on Phase 1 Step 4. His primary EA has requested to be trained on this program.
5. Julia is an 11-year-old whose parents are trying to implement a ‘put on deodorant’ program. They have asked you to train them for this life skill area.
6. Connor has learned how to drink from a cup in his IBI sessions. He must generalize this skill to his daycare under a daycare teacher’s direction.
7. A staff in a residential group home with an adult with a developmental disability has a concern over her frequent swearing; the function of the behaviour is hypothesized to be attention.
8. Nursing staff in a long-term care facility have concerns of a patient wandering off the unit; the function of behaviour is hypothesized to be access to tangible (to get access to Tim Hortons).
Part 1: Written Training Outline (10%)
o Discuss the social significance of the skill being taught and provide an explanation as to why you are training the selected mediator how to implement the program in the specified context.
o For scenario 1-6, describe the benefits of teaching this skill (more immediate and long term).
o For scenario 7-8, describe the current impact/risk that this behaviour has on the learner and the benefit of teaching a specified replacement behaviour.
• Overview: Provide relevant information on the training program
o State who the mediator is.
o Setting/Location: where and when the training session will take place.
o All training materials needed.
o Any prior training conducted or other pertinent information necessary to conduct the training session. For example,
o The Mediator has been trained to proficiency (100%) on other components in the training plan, specifically how to deliver behaviour specific praise and collect data.
o During the initial training session with this Trainer, the Mediator scored 60% on the manding for missing items program with the Trainer. Feedback was provided and the decision was made to conduct an additional training session as the Mediator did not meet the pre-determined criterion (90%).
• Training objective(s):
o State the training learning objective(s) for the Mediator.
o The learning objectives should be written in a measurable way and include all four components as outlined in Module 8. 7.2. For example, “The Mediator will perform at least 90% of the skills as outlined in the performance checklist without any prompts or reminders from the Trainer across two practice training sessions”.
• Facilitator Instructions (to self):
o Detailed instructions for the Trainer (yourself) to use as a prompt during the training session. This includes a detailed list of steps to be completed:
o Prior to session to prepare (prepare for the session/set-up).
o During the session (BST outline).
o At the end of the session (follow-up training required)
• Training Agenda:
o A list of the items that you will be discussing/accomplishing during your mediator training session in the form of a handout (to be reviewed with the mediator at the start of your training session).
o Should include details such as: date, location, names of attendees, estimated time per agenda item.
• Mediator Performance Checklist:
o Develop a mediator performance checklist for the Trainer to score the mediator during the mock training session (while the mediator is role playing the program) and to be able to provide the mediator with feedback on their performance (treatment integrity).
o The checklist should include at least 4 steps and should be written in clear/objective terms leaving no room for interpretation. For example, “The mediator provides immediate behaviour specific praise (within 3-5 seconds) for correct responding by saying “Great job telling me you want the ___”.
o The checklist must include a measurement system to calculate a performance score (percentage correct).
Note: remember that instruction writing is an art; try to ensure a balance between too much detail and too few details.
Part 2: Mediator Training Video Demonstration (20%):
You will be required to provide a video demonstration (no more than 15 minutes in length) of you training a mediator on how to teach particular skill to a learner. In preparation for your taped session, you will need to ensure that the training is set-up to include the following:
1. You will need a partner to complete the demonstration who will play the role of the Mediator. Your Mediator can be a family member, roommate or colleague. If for any reason you are not able to find a person to act as your Mediator (in person), you can adapt your training session to video conferencing (using a platform such as Google Hangouts, Zoom or any other platform that supports this). No matter the format (in person or video), the Mediator MUST have an opportunity to role play. Keep this in mind when selecting the skill steps (prompt level).
2. You will want to set up the camera directed towards a table with 2 chairs where you will meet with your Mediator to complete the performance-based training.
3. Make sure any props or teaching materials are present.
4. Prior to starting your BST training session, you will:
a. Introduce yourself & share your role; use ‘soft skills’ to put the Mediator at ease
b. Discuss the purpose of the training/rationale
c. Review the agenda (item by item)
d. State the Mediator training objective
5. You will run a BST session (instructions, model, role play/rehearsal, feedback)
a. You will start with the instructions. This should be a brief description (< 2 minutes) of the skills steps as outlined in the performance checklist using mediator friendly language.
b. You will model (step by step) the program to the Mediator using the materials. You will be the Trainer and the Mediator will play the role as the child.
c. You will review the performance checklist and explain the purpose of using this during your training session (treatment integrity).
d. You will provide the Mediator with an opportunity to role play implementing the program. The Mediator will now be the Trainer and you will play the role of the child.
e. You will give the Mediator feedback using the performance checklist and will refer back to the training objective. If the Mediator does not meet the criteria as outlined in the checklist (e.g., 90%), you may have them role play again until mastery is achieved (demonstrating proficiency) or you will discuss and specify a plan for further training.
6. You will end the session with identifying the next steps/future training objectives (e.g., observe the parent implementing the program directly with the child in the home across two observations with 90% accuracy). Secure a date/time and agree to this.
7. You will respond to at least 1 question asked by the Mediator and will assess the Mediator during the training on their understanding of the content and skills being trained by asking them questions (e.g., “Okay, so when Bobby gives you the corresponding PEC, what will you say to him? How many seconds after he hands you the PEC will you provide verbal praise?”).
8. You will find opportunities to incorporate your ‘soft skills’ and other interpersonal skills/non-verbal behaviours including but not limited to: acknowledging the Mediator for their participation/questions (e.g., “Great question, I am glad you asked that…”;“Sometimes role plays can feel awkward – I completely understand”; “I really appreciate your participation during this session!”), checking clarity throughout (e.g., “Does this make sense to you?” “Do you have any other questions before we move on?”), smiling, nodding your head etc.
Why Choose Us
At Myhomeworkwriters.com, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
My Homework Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Myhomeworkwriters.com maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, My Homework Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
My Homework Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At My Homework Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Myhomeworkwriters.com, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Myhomeworkwriters.com has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
My Homework Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.