1. which describes the outcome of both vertical and lateral gene
1. Which describes the outcome of both vertical and lateral gene transfer?
leads to rapid evolution of a population
increases variability in a population
results in large changes to the genetic code
occurs between nonrelated organisms
are types of mutation
2. Which of the following occurs in vertical gene transfer, but does not occur in horizontal gene transfer?
a type of asexual reproduction
rapid evolutionary changes
the use of a sex pilus
interaction between parent and offspring
3. Which of the following best describes the role of vertical gene transfer in evolution?
The types of genes passed on in vertical gene transfer are determined by artificial selection.
Vertical gene transfer is not affected by fitness.
Vertical gene transfer involves sexual reproduction that increases variation.
Mechanisms of evolution do not act on processes of vertical gene transfer.
Organisms that utilize vertical gene transfer have an increased chance of mutation.
4. Which of the following is not part of the process of bacterial conjugation?
5. Based on the role of gene transfer in populations, which process will not increase variability in a population?