04/09/2017 community policing | Law homework help
Assignment 2: Community Policing Careers
Community policing came about partially because of community pressure for more involvement in communities as a response to the separation created by the professional model of policing.
However, some agencies strongly believe in the professional model and also look at newer models known as information-led, predictive, and intelligence-led policing. These models tend to focus on targeted responses, and using both modern technology and data analysis to determine asset allocation and prioritization.
When recruiting police officers, agencies look for certain characteristics in recruits. With the current changes in technology, budgetary constraints, and other competing forces at work, most law enforcement agencies are doing more work with fewer resources, while working to meet the law enforcement needs of their communities.
Based on the many factors you have learned throughout this course, it is reasonable to conclude that the type of person a police agency hired in the past may not be the same type that it will be looking for in the future.
- By Week 5, Day 4, in a minimum of 250 words, post to the Discussion Area your answers to the following questions:
- What are the main characteristics that police agencies as a whole are looking for in their recruits today?
- Considering the fact that community policing may be morphing and adapting to new policing strategies, what do you believe would be the fate of community policing in the near future?
- By Week 5, Day 7, read and respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. Use contradictions and counterexamples supported by class readings. This can be accomplished through questioning, disagreeing, redirecting, or asking your classmates to rethink what they have posted and why.
- Whenever possible, briefly mention which points of the previous posts you are responding to in your comments.
Discussion Grading Criteria and Rubric
All discussion assignments in this course will be graded using a rubric. This assignment is worth 40 points. Download the discussion rubric and carefully read it to understand the expectations.